Monday, May 19, 2008

First Half of Short Story

It was a quiet foggy night. Pierced by the headlights of five cars Rumbling on the starting line of a high stakes street race. I felt energized like I had new life. I had some tough competition tonight I was up against some fast cars and good drivers but I felt that winning edge. There was a Beautiful 2005 BMW M3 Didn’t sound like it had much under the hood though probably just some punk ass rich spoiled teenager who got lucky on his 16th birthday. There was a tricked out 2002 Lexus IS 300 an impressive sounding exhaust manifold and what sounded like forged pistons. There was a 2004 Subaru Impreza a common car on this circuit. And 1996 Mazda RX-7 that I’ve seen before, Handles like a dream where talking sway bars and individual airbag suspension and Japanese prototype tires. And then there was me My name is Ace, Ace Brava I was sitting in a classic a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro. The Camaro sure didn’t come easy though. You see when I was a little My Father was A professional Le mans racer. He taught me all about cars and when I turned sixteen he didn’t teach me to drive he taught me to race. I loved it and I couldn’t get enough of it. The adrenaline and the speed and the precision, to me there was nothing better. My dad was always racing though and he was always away he would always leave me his camaro and say“When I get back I want to see this thing with something new or a fixed problem”And thats what i’d do id sit and work on the car until he got back and then there was that one race. I remember it vividly same old saying“I want to see it fixed Ace” said my dadI told him it would be and then off he went. He said he would be back the next day. I’d installed a new carburetor and repaired the transmission while he was gone. I added about 30 horsepower to the thing. Anyways while I was waiting for my dad to come home I decided I would watch some TV I turned it on and there it was right on channel 6 CBC news.“Legendary race car driver, Joe Brava died today in a fatal crash during his race. Sources say it was a pit crew mess up, they didn’t get the tires on right and the front two fell off. Joe’s Car flipped in the air right into a wall where it burst into flames. Its a terrible loss for America on the Le Mans racing circuit.” Said the reporter.I couldn’t believe it. I was so angry I threw the remote right through the TV. I Burst into tears I couldn’t believe it the only man I had ever loved my mentor and teacher was gone. I mourned for about a week. The next week o got a call from the people that had my dad’s will. They told me that he left me the camaro. It was really the only thing I wanted he left everything else to my mom who just ran off and left me alone. So what else was I to do I took the Camaro and started making money street racing. I started to build a reputation. I was making plenty of money and the Camaro was in great condition one of the fastest cars on the circuit. I had enough money to buy my own apartment and live comfortably. And then tonight just another race this one had a hundred thousand dollar pot. It would be great for the car I’ve been looking forward to upgrading the suspension and nitrous system in the camaro. Anyways the race was about to start. One of the girls strutted out into the middle of the starting line with a green flag. She raised it. The camaro was shaking wildly just raging to go revving real loud. 3....2....1 she dropped it. All at once the tires started spinning a high pitched screech filled the air and the BMW pulled out front. The BMW’s always tend to be fastest out of the gate. I kicked the camaro into gear and it flew. It was a tight race at this point and it needed to thin out as half of us were in the oncoming lane. I shifted into 4th and pulled out in front Subaru was having trouble getting in to the right lane and there was a car coming. They both tried to switch lanes and crashed into each other. I was taking corners like a maniac fishtailing at 100 mph. And then Cops all of a sudden we were all surrounded by cops. I slammed the brakes and pulled away into a side street. The cops were hot on my tail. I thought i’d try to ditch them in a parking complex. I had to make a quick traverse across a busy highway and down an exit and then i’d be fine. I floored it and Then it all went black. I was t-boned by an on coming tractor trailer really hard I go knocked out and was rushed to the hospital. I was put in intensive care for a week. The steering column impaled me and i had a severe concussion. The doctors said“god must love a good race cause you should have died from that crash”After that i was charged for attempting to evade police and 2nd degree murder I was sentenced to 10 years.Let me just start off by saying here that prison is even worse than they portray it in shows and movies. You’d think that because they are movies they higher bigger stronger men to play the criminials, nope. Thats what they are like, and they are mean. I was always caught up in fights. I see myself as a decently sized very strong person. And I let that get the best of me. The consequences really sucked i had to deal with pissed off wardens all the time and clean washrooms with my toothbrush oh ya they really make you do that. It was a living hell and it had only been 1 year. I knew I had to get out i just didn’t know, how until one day...I’d ,amaged to get my hands on a paddleball so thats pretty much what I did for fun. You get pretty good at something when its all you’ve got to do. So i was sitting on my bed playing paddleball when the warden came by and tapped on my cell with his night stick.“hey punk!” Said the warden“screw off you annoying prick don’t want to deal with you S@#T right now.” I said“No you can do that later you’ve got visitors punk.” He exclaimed\“Shut up My whole families gone and I only have 2 friends I haven’t seen in years.” I screamed at him.“fine don’t see your visitors ill tell them your sick and cant see them.” He said“Wait wait wait!”I yelled “im coming,”At this point i was wildly curious and kind of excited to think that someone was coming to visit me. I sat in the booth and in front of me were three big men who seemed to be of Italian descent. I got up to leave.“this is no way to treat a visitor” said the leader of the group“who the hell are you?” i asked“My name is Donald Verscetti,” he exclaimed “I am the leader of the..” he hesitated “can you keep a secret?”“sure...” I said“i am the leader of the boston branch of the Italian Mafia” he said“and im evil kneivel thanks for visiting but i don’t have time for this sh#t” I snapped“I can prove it to you.”He remarked“How?” i asked“ill get you out of here, on one condition.” He stated“and whats that,”“you will work for me,” he said“oh ok let me pack up my guns i’ll be right out” i said sarcastically“no not necessary.” He said obviously missing the sarcasm I rolled my eyes“you will drive for me.” He said“im nobodies chauffer,” i said to him“not chauffeuring me you will be my getaway driver” he said“getaway driver huh,” I said“yes you will drive to our hits, robberies, holdups, and anything else and you will be there as a getaway driver.” He explained to me“how do you know im so good?” i said“we have been watching you races its not often we get a chance like this to have a driver like you.” He remarked“listen fellas im not interested!” i said “to much risk and to much danger i don’t think i can handle being a part of the mafia.” I explained to them“huh too bad yo would’ve been good, If you change your mind just call this number.” He said as he handed me a slip with the number 617 327 1829“alright,” I said “thanks for coming bye bye now.”I couldn’t sleep that night i had so many takes on the whole situation 1 I got o drive as fast as i can with the worlds nicest cars around the country 2 the Mafia could get me out of any situation i got myself into. 3 its highly illegal and i would be involved with killing people. And 4 what would tyler and nikki think of me. Oh thats right you haven’t met tyler and nikki yet. Tyler And Nikki are the only two friends I have had my whole life. Nikki is beautiful she is tall and blonde with a beautiful body she’s been my best friend since JK. We both grew up with cars because her dad was also a race car driver. She is an amazing driver and handyman and can change an intercooler faster than an assembly line robot. Tyler has been my best bud since JK as well he doesn know much about cars but he is a huge computer but and when it comes to getting specs on my engine he can hook it up to his computer and do it in a second. These are the two people i still have and love in m life. Anyways back to the story. I couldn’t get my head around it. I decided to decline. The next day at lunch i was eating on my own when some punk pushed my tray off the table and in a deep voice said“this is my seat”“oh really” i said“Ya really,” he saidI picked up the chair in front of that spot and moved somewhere else. This guy was pissed“you think you’re funny punk?”“no just hungry,” i saidHe came and whaled on my head with his tray I got up and punched him in the nose it actually turned in to a pretty brutal fight. He busted my lip and broke my nose but I broke one of his ribs so I won. The warden came and told me“boy I hope that those bristles on your toothbrush are sharp cause you’ve got a lot of cleaning to do.” He yelled“haha yes sir i just have to make a call first,” i said“you’ve got 2 minutes to be in my office,” he screamedI ran to the phone and dialled the number as it was dialing i looked at the letters on the phone the number was 617 GETAWAY I laughed and a familiar voice answered the phone“hey don,” i said “I’m In”.It was the next day and I was sitting in Donald Verscetti’s office he sat down and explained to me how the whole thing was going to work.“you will always have a choice of 3 cars they will never be the same either,” Said Don“I can get use to that” I said
“after you use them the are destroyed, I no its kind of a waist but we have to because they will be traced right back to us.” He exclaimed
“we will fly you back to boston where we will give you a choice of accomadation a loft condo or house.”
“I like the sound of this,” You will also receive a 25,000 dollar payout for every succesfull job.” He said
“great but how are you getting me out of this hell hole?”
“Its not very exciting,” He said
“Just tell me,” I snapped
“we payed you bail” said Don
“Great lets Go,” I said feeling very happy I wouldn’t have to clean the bathroom.
We rode back in a beautiful 2009 Maybach it was brand new I could tell. I got to know Don a little more on the way home. He was born in Boston but his parent were born in italy and moved to America.

2 comments:

Sam Essery said...

Jamie Great story
i really had a good time rading it
1 thing you may want to go back and change is tour spelling.
another thing that you may want to change, is a few of your words, you either forgot a word of two, or put BUT instead of THE

Its pretty basic stuff, but to make your story a little more smooth you should change that stuff

jamie pennock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.